Aadhar and PAN cards are the two most important documents in India. Aadhar is a 12 digit number which is a unique one. It will not change in your entire life. The number allotted to you will not be given to any other person. You can verify yourself using an Aadhar card in any part of India. It is a single but most effective document that contains your demographic as well as biometric details.
On the other hand, PAN is a ten-character number and is a combination of alphanumeric characters. Please note that this is the main difference between Aadhar and PAN as Aadhar only contains numeric characters while PAN contains alphanumeric characters.
As both of these are crucial documents, UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) has launched a process through which you can link your Aadhar with the PAN card. UIDAI is the body established by the Government of India to provide enrollment services to the residents of India. By resident, we mean any person who lives in India for at least 182 days in a year. If the person lives less than 182 days in a year, he is considered a non-resident Indian (NRI).
If you are earning income and paying relevant tax on the income, then you have to file an annual return at the end of each year. So, when you go to file an income tax return, you must have to enter your Aadhar number in addition to the PAN, otherwise, your tax return will not be accepted. Itis the reason it has become necessary that you link Aadhar with PAN to avoid any future issues. The government of India has already given deadlines of 31st March to complete the linking or mapping process. So, let’s learn the complete linking process of Aadhar and Pan.
1. Visit income tax online e-filling web portal.
2. log in to the portal using your user name, password & date of birth.
3. Once you hit the enter button, a pop-up window loads. This is will ask you to link your pan with the Aadhar number.
4. In the same window, you will find the blue color ‘Profile Setting’ option.
5. Now click the link Aadhar. If you do not see any pop-up window as discussed in step 4 above, it means that you have already submitted information such as name, gender, and date of birth ready at the time of registration at the income tax e-filling portal.
6. Now check the details at the portal for verification purposes. If these are in compliance with your Aadhar data, enter your Aadhar number and Captcha code. Now click the icon link now.
7. A pop-up message with a successful linking Aadhar with the pan will display. Congratulation, you have successfully mapped your Aadhar with the pan. We remind you again that act immediately as the last date is reaching and Government is not going to grant further extension as it already did a 9-month extension in June last year.