As you know, Aadhar is a national identity card in India and it is considered the main KYC (Know Your Customer) document. All the bank in India uses this as the main document while opening the bank account. Keeping in view the importance of this document, often people think that this is mandatory to link their bank account with Aadhar. But this is not true as there is no statutory requirement from the Government of India to link a bank account with Aadhar.
The only reason to do the linking process is to enjoy the various benefits offered by the Government. These benefits include social security pension and LPG subsidy.
The linking process can easily be done by submitting your Aadhar card copy to your bank’s branch. Alternatively, you can easily do that by login into your bank’s internet banking portal. We have seen many people claiming that they have submitted their Aadhar card in the branch but still they are not able to see their status whether their Aadhar is linked with bank accounts or not.
Today, we will guide you through the simple and easy method to check if the bank account is linked to Aadhar or not. For this, you need to follow the below steps:
1. Open the official Aadhar web portal located at www.uidai.gov.in
2. Now look for ‘Check Aadhaar/Bank Account Linking Status’ under the section of the Aadhaar services option inside the Aadhar Online Services tab.
3. Now you have two options. Either you enter 12 digits Aadhaar number or 16 digits Virtual ID. It is totally up to you.
4. Enter the security code
5. Now click the Send OTP button. You will get the OTP (One Time Password) on your mobile number. This is the mobile number that you provided at the time of registration of the Aadhar card. Make sure your number is working and your mobile phone is on.
6. Now Enter this OTP on the screen and click the Login button. You should be able to login into your Aadhar portal. If you are getting related to the wrong OTP or expired OTP, it means you have taken more than 10 minutes to enter the OTP. So, make sure you enter OTP within 10 minutes of receiving the SMS.
7. Upon successful login, you will see the message ‘Congratulations! Your Bank Aadhar Mapping has been done’ on the screen.
If you do not see this message, it means that there is a fault that happened in the process of linking a bank account with Aadhar. If you did the linking process via internet banking, review the process. However, if you submitted your Aadhar card copy to the bank, then contact your bank branch and ask the reasons for such. There are instances that bank staff misplace your Aadhar copy and do not do the mapping process. It is always good to have some receiving copy from the bank so that they could not negate you.