Aadhar is a unique number and consists of 12 digits. Its enrollment is done via UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) via a country-wide large network of Aadhaar centers. These centers do not charge any fees from residents for providing enrollment services. This is a big step from the Government of India as this is a huge opportunity cost that can bring lots of revenue to the Government each year.
The technology used in the Aadhaar is based on two sets of information. One is demographic while the other is biometric such as Iris and fingerprint scans. This is the main reason Aadhaar is a secure and reliable document across India. In order to further protect the privacy of Aadhaar, the concept of masked Aadhaar is gaining popularity.
As Aadhaar is an important legal document, it is very important to keep it secure and confidential. But the use of Aadhaar in every segment of our life has made it very hard to maintain its privacy. We heard lots of news regarding data leakages of people using aadhar in the past. Keeping in view these issues of people in mind, UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) has released a new concept of masked Aadhaar. In masked aadhar, the first 8 digits on the Aadhaar number are masked while the rest of the 4 digits remain visible. All other details such as QR code, picture, demographic data, and other information remain there on the card. As it is a UIDAI’s signed document, it is acceptable at all the places where you have to verify only your identity.
How to get a Masked Aadhaar?
1. Open the official web portal at https://uidai.gov.in/.
2. Choose the link ‘Download Aadhaar’ inside the ‘My Aadhaar’ tab.
3: Now, use one of the following three procedures to download the masked Aadhaar.
a. Using Aadhaar Number. You can enter the 12 digit Aadhaar number. You have to enter your full name and pin code as well on the portal.
b. Enrolment Number – you can also use the 28 digit enrolment number. You will have to enter your full name and pin code as well to download the masked card.
c. Virtual ID
You have the option to download masked Aadhaar as well using the 16-digit Virtual ID on the official UIDAI portal.
4. Now, it is the time to check the box ‘I want a masked Aadhaar?
5. Press on the button ‘Send OTP’. You will receive the OTP on your registered mobile number.
6. Input this one-time password on the website to get the masked Aadhaar.
7. As a second option, you may click on the button ‘Enter TOTP’ to use the time-bound OTP (TOTP). TOTP is generated using the mAadhaar app.
8. Your secured and confidential masked Aadhaar will be downloaded.